What are backlinks??? Many people are confused about this subject. So if you are too, don’t worry, on this page we are going to take a very basic tutorial approach on learning what backlinks are.
1. A link is the piece of text on a page (many times underlined but sometimes it’s a graphic) that you click on with your mouse. When this happens, you are led to a different webpage, another section of a webpage, or a totally different website altogether. This text is referred to as “anchor text.”
2. In this tutorial there are 3 different types of links we will pay attention to. These are inbound links, outbound links, and internal links. These are sort of what you would call “the majors”, because they are major factors in the world of backlinking.
* Inbound Links are backlinks that link from another person’s website to yours. You need tons of these in order to be successful at gaining greater amounts of traffic to your website.
Their benefit is increased by…
– the quality of the website the link is coming from,
– how tightly that website’s niche is related to your website in terms of overall theme,
– if the anchor text of that link (the area that you click with your mouse) has your sites keyword or keyword phrase in it.
* Outbound links are those that point from your site to someone else’s website. Let’s say for instance, that you really like the subject of someone else’s website so you decide to place a link to their website for your readers to check out, that is an outbound link. But there is a need for caution here, you would be wise to be very cautious about which websites you decide to link to from your own. It is often a good practice to “link out” to well-known websites that might help out your visitors, just be sure that it is not a website that is competing with yours. When appropriate, do link exchanges with complementary/noncompeting websites.
* Internal links are often undervalued but can play and work and role in your SEO Efforts. These are the types of links that link from within your own site to another page of your own website. If you are still a little confused as to what an internal backlink is just look at the bottom of this page and click on the link, you will notice that it takes you to another page of this website. THAT my friends is an internal backlink.
On a secondary note, please keep in mind that every single webpage on your website should link to your website home page for SEO reasons. And it is important to link with “anchor text” that has the keywords that the homepage is optimized for, this is extremely important when you place backlinks. (You will also see an example of that at the bottom of this page.)
3. Just to prove to you the power of anchor text placement I encourage you to go to Google and search for the words, “click here” (Without the Commas). Notice which website is in #1 position for that keyword. Are you wondering why? It is because so many websites have linked to Adobe Reader using the words “click here.” You’ve probably seen it for yourself already a few times. Keep that in mind the next time you decide to just randomly link with any keyword. This is an opportunity to take advantage of the laws of SEO (search engine optimizing), there is most definitely a calculated strategy to link-building. Don’t ignore it.
4. There are two main parts of an anchor text link…
<a href=”http://www.yoursitename.com“>Anchor Text</a>
<a href=”http://www.yoursitename.com/file-name.html “>Anchor Text</a>
Whether you are linking from your site, within your website, or even to your website, the URL of the page that is being linked to goes where the green text is in-between the quote marks. The anchor text (the area where people click) goes where the orange text is, in-between the > and the </a>.
5. Be smart in selecting your anchor text. Be absolutely sure that it includes the keyword or keyword phrase that the page it is linking to is optimized for. Sometimes a synonym must be used for internal linking if a phrase has already been linked to on one page too many times because you don’t want to overdo it.
Do not be fooled. Backlinks are every bit as important to your being able to draw traffic to your website as having tons of great content.
Having tons of great content is awesome and helps tremendously, but not being able to attract readers who read that great content renders your website useless and a waste of time and money.
Many wonderfully written websites have suffered an uneventful life & death because their owners were scared away from building backlinks to their well thought-out sites, meanwhile millions of crappy websites sit on the first page of Google because their owners understand the value of gaining thousands of backlinks and know where to get them from.
What are backlinks? They are a critically important element in marketing your websites. Building backlinks to your sites is completely 100% legal, and an absolute necessity to compete in this business.
If you are interested in trying your hand at backlinking your own sites and really competing in this business, I highly recommend that you look into a program that I used when I started out. When I got to a level where money was coming in and I wanted to invest in my sites and business I researched and found BacklinksGenie. For my readers they’ve offered a 1-week trial period in case this type of backlink service is totally new to you and you need to get your feet wet first.
Like any business, ROI (return on investment) is the bottom line. If you do not have the money to invest in backlinking on a pro level, do not worry. Neither did I in the very beginning, just keep grinding and working and you will know when it’s your time to put your money to work as well. I myself made the mistake of investing too early and it hurt me because I didn’t have any room for error. And inevitably, I made errors : /
So evaluate thoroughly if your website(s) are READY to be seen on a large scale and READY to monetize(make money) upon arrival of Search Engine visitors. Simply put, even thousands of visitors a day won’t earn you a penny if your website isn’t set up to monetize.
What are backlinks worth if they don’t make you money? Nothing. And you should not spend on monthly backlink programs if you simply can’t afford their cost or to wait on the benefits(traffic & income) they bring in. SEO is for the patient, SEO is for those who plan and strategize.
If you do feel that you are in position to take advantage, BacklinksGenie has also allowed me to offer $50 off BacklinksGenie first month Subscription. If unsure, just take a look at their service, research it to see if it fits your needs now or for later. I do know this for sure, it’s a one-of-a-kind service and is working wonders for webmasters all over the world! Beside that though, hopefully the question ” what are backlinks? ” has been answered for you!